Een getuigenis op het internet...

Dit forum is alleen bedoeld voor getuigenissen van ex Moslims en de moderator heeft het recht zonder enige voorkennis alle off-topic threads verplaatsen in daarvoor bestemde folders.
Ketter

Een getuigenis op het internet...

Berichtdoor Ketter » Wo Sep 10, 2008 11:42 am

Deze getuigenis gevonden van een ex-bekeerde-moslima

http://richarddawkins.net/articleCommen ... ge3#244953

Merk op dat, in tegenstelling tot de Islamitisch geïnspireerde misvattingen van bvb. een (oneerlijke en onethische post van) melihacan (zie http://www.dutch.faithfreedom.org/forum ... php?t=9190") , die het laat voorkomen alsof de reden het verval in decadentie is, het wel degelijk om ethiek gaat als voornaamste drijfveer.

"The compartmentalization was just too much. It was like I could almost feel my brain cracking under the strain. Plus, I was losing my mind with all the rules and rituals and fatwa rulings and failing to harmonize them with my deepest ethical and moral beliefs. So...I finally allowed myself to admit it and quit."
Laatst gewijzigd door Ketter op Wo Sep 10, 2008 12:46 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Zonder (ji)haat straat.

Wat is er zo moeilijk te begrijpen aan het feit dat ik niet kan geloven in een God die zo duidelijk kwaadaardig is?

Ariel

Berichtdoor Ariel » Wo Sep 10, 2008 11:56 am

Jammer... :( De bovenste link is niet goed Ketter...
De geest van de wijze richt zich naar rechts, maar de geest van de dwaas naar links.

Ketter

Berichtdoor Ketter » Wo Sep 10, 2008 12:49 pm

OK, heb de bovenste link aangepast. Omdat het om een post gaat die een commentaar is op, enz, enz, hier het geheel:

Layla Nasreddin schreef:Bonzai wrote:

Bonzai schreef:I am wondering if you can tell us what made you convert to Islam?

Oh, wallah, it's a long story! Brief recap: I'd always been attracted to Middle Eastern culture and had even read the Qur'an (extreme xenophilia, I guess), but the thing that really set off my obsessive interest was...9/11. Dawkins writes that this event is what caused him to decide to come out more strongly against religion. Well, I had the opposite reaction -- I became utterly fascinated by everything having to do with Islam and the Middle East. Surely these attacks were not countenanced by the real Islam! In short, I went on an orgy of reading and research over the next few months (I read the Qur'an three times and dozens of other books...INCLUDING less-positive titles), and became so emotionally and aesthetically attracted to the religion I decided to convert.

So I called up the local mosque and said, Hey, I want to convert! Being hugely timid and shy, I still find it hard to believe how I worked up the nerve to do that. Anyway, they told me to come in and make my shahadah (profession of faith) the next day.

At first it was great, I got a warm welcome and made friends -- important to the story, because I was quite lonely (all cults prey on the lonely). I put off telling anybody I knew, though, and especially family members for fear that I would be disowned, but I figured I would tell them "eventually," when I was more secure in my faith. I bought some hijabs and other Islamic clothing, and although I was too shy to wear the scarf in public at the time for fear of standing out, I always wore "modest" clothing even in the 110-degree summer heat.

But, as I said, there were always doubts, which I managed to ease a bit by reading all manner of liberal Muslim scholars and Muslim feminists (not necessarily an oxymoron). See, I thought, Islam is NOT the grossly misogynistic religion those awful Islamophobes say it is! But the more I learned, the more I felt obligated to follow each and every little rule, even if I thought it was ridiculous or pointless or grossly misogynistic, because "Allah knows and you know not." OK...I guess. Being obsessive, I would worry myself sick over whether I did every little ritual right, whether I fasted right, all that stuff. Ugh. Plus, I couldn't stop reading all manner of scholarly Western works about the history of Islam and how the traditional Muslim accounts contained very little, if any, verifiable history -- just like I'd read earlier about Judaism and Christianity. I read about all the atrocities perpetrated in the name of Islam, and justified by it. Well, I'd known about a lot of that before, but it hadn't really hit home until I learned more about the actual religion and its more obscure rules about jihad and so on.

After several years, the intellectual strain of trying to reconcile Islam with my beliefs took its toll. And how could I continue to, in one part of my brain, claim that I believed that the Qur'an was the actual Word of Allah, and in another, believe that it was merely a human document, full of grammatical and other errors? The compartmentalization was just too much. It was like I could almost feel my brain cracking under the strain. Plus, I was losing my mind with all the rules and rituals and fatwa rulings and failing to harmonize them with my deepest ethical and moral beliefs. So...I finally allowed myself to admit it and quit. With a little help from here, I must admit!
Zonder (ji)haat straat.

Wat is er zo moeilijk te begrijpen aan het feit dat ik niet kan geloven in een God die zo duidelijk kwaadaardig is?

Terug naar “Getuigenissen van ex-moslims”